Call to Order: Chairman Robert Hughey called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm at the District Office 79 Wiley Lane in Makanda. A roll call was taken.
Board Members present were Chair Hughey, Vice-Chairman Kimberly Cole, and Trustees Grace Brewer, John Dickson, Paul Heern, and Karen Fiorino. Trustee Warren Ladner was absent. (Quorum: Yes. Voting members present: 6)
Staff and Professionals: Present Absent
Treasurer, Mike Williamsen, Present
District Secretary Mike Twomey, Present
Legal Counsel Mike Twomey, Present
Engineer, Richard Howell Absent
FT Staff: WSO, Alex Heidbreder Present
Office Manager, Sage Lintner Present
Visitors present and Visitor Requests:
Conyers Lamb (pronounced “con-yes lam”) attended the Board meeting as a potential new Board member. Mr. Lamb was welcomed by Chair Hughey and asked to give the Board Trustees an introduction and background on himself and the reasons for his interest in serving on the Board. Mr. Lamb stated that he is a 22-year Army infantry veteran previously stationed in Ft. Lewis, WA. and deployed several times over the years; married with 3 children; owns the scooter company in Carbondale; and moved to the area a year ago. Very interested in this beautiful area and giving back in support of the community.
Approval of Minutes: Trustee Dickson made a motion to accept the minutes of July 11, 2023, and 2nd by Trustee Fiorino and with an “all in favor” voice vote resulting in (6) yay votes and (0) nay votes. The minutes of 07/11/2023 were approved.
Communications for July 2023:
Chair Hughey was contacted by Scott Wilmouth (Alto Pass Water District and Kinkaid Conservancy District) requesting a meeting to discuss the possibility of BPWD supplying water to Alto Pass. There were Board questions and discussion on this possibility and the Board agreed to meet with Scott. Chair Hughey, Treasurer Williamsen, and Trustee Dickson will meet with Scott at a date to be determined and report back to the Board. PENDING
- Request for Proposal (RFP) and Contracts for the LSLI Grant funds and contract work: Office manager Lintner will draft the RFPs for hydro excavating and GIS mapping and prepare the lists of potential bidders. Vice-chair Cole will edit the RFP, get approvals from Legal Counsel Twomey and Chair Hughey and get the RFP documents out to the bidders by certified mail no later than August 18th with a bid due date back to the BPWD office no later than September 6, 2023. The bid awards will be completed at the September 13, 2023 regular Board meeting and contracts prepared by Legal Counsel Mike Twomey to commence the work required to complete the Lead service line inventory. PENDING
- Pressure reducing valve (PRV) Quotes: Office manager Lintner presented 2 quotes from ESI and CC Pumps. This was tabled until WSO Heidbreder can discuss with Brian Bush to see if he can do this work and get back to the Board on it. PENDING
- Board training for new Trustees Ladner and Fiorino. Vice-Chair Cole asked for staff and/or Board members to volunteer to give tours of the district operations and assist with our three (3) new Board members training. PENDING
- Congressional spending grant opportunity: No update. PENDING
- IEPA grant for Lead Service Line inventory: The grant was accepted for $30,000 and the contract has been signed by all parties. The RFPs and contracts for the third party contractors will be prepared. Quarterly reports consisting of financial reports, performance reports, contracts, and narratives are due 9/15/2023, 12/15/2023, 3/15/2024, and 6/15/2024. (Detailed on page 24 of 31) The grant funds must be established as a separate entity within QuickBooks for financial reporting. PENDING
- Repair of roof, Water/wiring damage-Insurance Claim: WSO Heibreder reported this is on his ‘to do’ list. PENDING
- Employee handbook Rev. 2.0 updates: Office manager Lintner will get a copy to Trustees Ladner and obtain his handbook Rev 2.0 receipt form to be filed. PENDING
- Strategic plan Five (5) Year: Chair Hughey asked for the Board trustees to review the plan and asked each member to assess within the next 60 days (by October regular Board meeting) what area of the plan they could take on. He asked each Trustee to provide input into the plan. PENDING
- Lead (Pb) service line inventory: Vice Chair Cole reported that WSO Heidbreder has completed his evaluation of all the meter pits. There are 125 that will need hydro-excavation in order to visually determine the water line materials in the pits. See WSO report (attached) for more details on this project. The deadline for the completion and submission of the inventory to the IEPA is April 15, 2024. PENDING
- GPS mapping of the district: Office manager Lintner presented updated quotes (from earlier origination in 2023) from IRWA and Greater Egypt to perform the GPS mapping. Trustee Fiorino made a motion to approve the IRWA quote, and it was 2nd by Trustee Brewer. A roll call vote was taken with 6 ayes and 0 nays, and this quote was approved. The IRWA contract portion will be reviewed by Legal Counsel Twomey before any action will be taken on this. PENDING
- Cross connection survey and program: Vice Chair and ROINC Cole reported the work is proceeding with a goal of October 2023 completion. PENDING
Carbondale Water District: Nothing new to report
Staff and Board group reports:
- Office manager Lintner report (attached):
- Maintenance water Operator Heidbreder report (attached):
- Work Group 1, Ordinance review. Vice Chair Cole prepared Chapter 2 and currently under revision.
- Work Group 2, Water loss: Chair Hughey reported that the group has met, and working through each item on the POP grid. Accomplishments and timetables are being done.
- ROINC report (attached)
Accounting and Financial reports, July 2023: Treasurer Williamsen reported on a spreadsheet titled “BPWD financial over view August 8, 2023” that he prepared detailing the months of May-August, water sold gallons, income, expense, begin fund act, end fund act. This also had the bank account balances at First Mid: $124,289, and Investment account T-bill: $146,400. He explained that the accounting system and QuickBooks have issues. He and Chair Hughey have a meeting with Scott Hickham, Auditor, have a meeting this week on August 10, 2023, to rectify these issues.
Budget line item corrections to approved budget (May 2023) No report PENDING
Payment of the bills and approval of July 2023 disbursements: Trustee Brewer made a motion to pay the bills. Trustee Heern made the 2nd. A roll call vote was taken and 6 ayes, and 0 nays was obtained, and the motion passed to pay the bills listed for July 2023.
Additional investment of $50,000 in T-bills from the Infrastructure account at First-Mid Bank: Trustee Heern made a motion asking Treasurer Williamsen to make a $50,000 investment in T-bills through Charles Schwab, Inc. Trustee Brewer made the 2nd. A roll call vote was taken and 6 ayes, and 0 nays was obtained, and the motion passed to make this investment as soon as feasible.
Additional Public comments or questions: None
Executive session: None
Motion for Adjournment: Trustee Dickson made a motion to adjourn and was 2nd by Trustee Brewer. All in favor by voice 6 ayes, and 0 nays, the motion carried to adjourn.