BUNCOMBE PUBLIC WATER DISTRICT BOARD OF TRUSTEES REGULAR MEETING
SEPTEMBER 10, 2019
MINUTES OF AUGUST 13, 2019
1. Chairman Hughey called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. A roll call was taken and present were: Chairman Robert Hughey; Vice Chairman Robert Jacobini; Treasurer Mike Williamsen; Water Supply Operator Ron Lada; District Secretary Karen Dunn; and Trustees Jenny Anderson, Grace Brewer, Pat Brierton, and Joseph Burrow.
2. The professionals in attendance were Mr. Mike Twomey, Mr. Joe Boyke, and Mr. Scott Hickam; and the visitors in attendance were District customers Ms. Lucille Burrow and Mr. Greg Dunn.
3. The Board reviewed the minutes of the July 9, 2019, regular meeting. A motion was made by Mr. Burrow to accept the minutes; seconded by Ms. Brierton and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the minutes were approved.
4. No visitor or customer issues were presented or addressed at this time.
5. Communications for August included a letter from IDOT regarding damage to a District Water Main on Old US Highway 51 in March 2019. The letter was reviewed and discussed noting that as damage occurred on the Road Right-of-Way, IDOT was not responsible for damage to District Water lines. No further action was taken at this time.
6. On the order of new business, Mr. Scott Hickam distributed portfolios containing completed Financials Statements and the Independent Auditor’s Report for the year ending December 31, 2018. He began by explaining aspects of the report related to financial highlights and statements of Net Position, Revenues, Expenses, Cash Flows, and changes therein. Also evaluated was the impact of water main breaks on operating expenses due to water loss and repairs. Mr. Hickam continued by addressing total assets, operating revenues and interest earned. Graphical representation offered a visual account of expenses by category as compared to the previous year. Mr. Hickam further offered his analysis of rates, economic factors, and future budget issues. After related discussion, a motion was made by Ms. Brewer to accept the audit as presented. The motion was seconded by Ms. Brierton and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the motion was approved. A copy of the FY 2018 Annual Financial Report containing information required by the Comptroller was provided to each member of the Buncombe Public Water District Board of Trustees in person, this date July 9, 2019, during a public meeting, and was approved by a 3/5 majority vote.
7. Mr. Joe Boyke opened by reporting the status of the District’s application to the IEPA for project funding. He indicated the next step in the process was for approval of project planning. Engineering fees were addressed related to the District’s 2020 budget preparation.
Mr. Mike Twomey with an update related to legal circumstances pertaining to the Village of Makanda (re: Repairs at the Pavilion) and noted that payment had been received by the Water District satisfying the terms of the final agreement. After related discussion, Mr. Twomey presented an invoice for related legal services for Board approval. A motion was made by Vice Chairman Jacobini to accept the invoice as presented with the Board’s appreciation for services rendered. The motion was seconded by Ms. Brierton and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the motion carried.
8. Regarding the Carbondale Water District, new regulations related to water quality were discussed with no action required at this time.
9. Financials for June 2019 were presented and reviewed with brief discussion.
10. The District Secretary and Treasurer’s Report and the Accounts Payable Report for August 2019 were presented and discussed. A motion was made by Ms. Brewer to accept the reports as presented and to pay the bills. The motion was seconded by Ms. Anderson and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the motion carried.
11. The Water Supply Operator’s Report was reviewed with no discrepancies, followed by conversation related to water loss, leak detection, and hydrant security.
12. No additional public comments or questions were presented at this time.
13. There was no move for an executive session.
14. There being no further business, a motion was made by Mr. Burrow to adjourn, seconded by Ms. Brewer and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the meeting closed.