BUNCOMBE PUBLIC WATER DISTRICT BOARD OF TRUSTEES REGULAR MEETING
JANUARY 14, 2020
MINUTES OF DECEMBER 10, 2019
1. Vice Chairman Jacobini, in the temporary absence of the Chairman, called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. A roll call was taken and present were: Vice Chairman Robert Jacobini; Water Supply Operator Ron Lada; District Secretary Karen Dunn; and Trustees Jenny Anderson, Grace Brewer, Pat Brierton, and Joseph Burrow. Absent was Treasurer Mike Williamsen, and Chairman Robert Hughey arrived shortly after the meeting was called to order.
2. The professional in attendance at the meeting was Mr. Mike Twomey; as were District customers Ms. Lucille Burrow and Mr. Greg Dunn.
3. The Board reviewed the minutes of the November 12, 2019, regular meeting. A motion was made by Ms. Anderson to accept the minutes; seconded by Ms. Brewer and with (4) yes and (0) no votes, the minutes were approved.
4. No new visitor or customer requests were presented at this time.
5. No new items of communication were available for presentation.
6. On the order of new business, the Board began by reviewing the Board Meetings Schedule for 2020. A motion followed from Ms. Brierton to approve the schedule as presented; seconded by Ms. Anderson and with (4) yes and (0) no votes, the motion carried.
Upon the arrival of Chairman Hughey, next addressed was the 2020 Operating Budget as prepared by the District Secretary under the advisement of Mr. Scott Hickam, District Audit Accountant. The District Secretary presented the budget by reviewing and explaining each line item, noting anticipated expenditures. She also indicated the inclusion of a 2.5% rate increase to total revenue of which Mr. Hickam concurred. After discussion and deliberation, a motion was made by Ms. Brierton to accept the 2020 Operating Budget as presented. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Jacobini and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the 2020 Operating Budget was approved.
Next on the agenda of new business was consideration of an Employee Christmas Bonus. After related discussion, which included an increase to the previous year’s offering, a motion was made by Mr. Burrow to extend a Christmas bonus to each employee as discussed; seconded by Ms. Brierton and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the motion carried.
7. Related to the topics of this District’s participation in the IEPA Public Water Supply Loan Program and the Water Leak Detection project, there was no new information to review.
8. Regarding the Carbondale Water District, there was no information to discuss.
9. Financials for October 2019 were presented and reviewed with brief discussion.
10. The District Secretary and Treasurer’s Report and the Accounts Payable Report for December 2019 were presented and discussed. A motion was made by Mr. Burrow to accept the reports as presented and to pay the bills. The motion was seconded by Ms. Anderson and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the motion carried. A second motion followed by Ms. Brierton to transfer funds in the amount of $1,887.20 from the Repairs Account to the Operations Account to fund repairs as discussed; seconded by Mr. Brewer and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the transfer was approved.
11. The Water Supply Operator’s Report was reviewed with no discrepancies. The report was followed by discussion related to a water main break at the creek directly north of the Makanda Post Office, which was discovered after a customer who lived near that break called to report low water pressure. A day after the water main had been repaired, it was discovered that the customer who initially reported low pressure also had a leak to their personal water line. The Board continued by addressing the lapse in time in addressing the customer’s leak. Consideration was given to excess water loss from the time she initially reported to when the District actually responded to her home. After further discussion, a motion was made by Vice Chairman Jacobini to adjust the customer’s billing in full for only that period of time as discussed by the Board. The motion was seconded by Mr. Burrow and with (4) yes votes, (0) votes, and (1) abstained, the motion carried.
12. No additional public comments or questions were presented at this time.
13. There was no move for an executive session. 14. There being no further business, a motion was made by Mr. Burrow to adjourn, seconded by Ms. Brierton and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the meeting closed.