BUNCOMBE PUBLIC WATER DISTRICT BOARD OF TRUSTEES REGULAR MEETING
JULY 9, 2019
MINUTES OF JUNE 11, 2019
- Chairman Hughey called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. A roll call was taken and present were: Chairman Robert Hughey; Vice Chairman Robert Jacobini; Treasurer Mike Williamsen; Water Supply Operator Ron Lada; District Secretary Karen Dunn; and Trustees Jenny Anderson, Pat Brierton, and Joseph Burrow. Absent was Trustee Grace Brewer.
- The professionals in attendance were Mr. Mike Twomey and Mr. Joe Boyke; and the visitors in attendance were District customers Mrs. Lucille Burrow and Mr. Greg Dunn.
- The Board reviewed the minutes of the May 14, 2019, regular meeting. A motion was made by Mr. Burrow to accept the minutes; seconded by Vice Chairman Jacobini and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the minutes were approved.
- No visitor or customer issues were presented or addressed at this time.
- No communications were available for presentation at this time.
- No new business was discussed at this time.
- Under the order of old business related to Engineering, Mr. Boyke opened by presenting plans to implement a District leak detection system. Of those items was a cost quotation from Mr. Brian Bush of R.B. Bush Contracting Company as well as related Engineering fees. Discussion followed related to the scope of work and prioritization based on problematic areas. Further discussion addressed costs as it relates to current assets. A motion was made by Vice Chairman Jacobini to approve the leak detection plan as presented. The motion was seconded by Ms. Brierton and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the motion carried.
Next reviewed was the recent repair to a water main along McGuire Road which passes beneath a creek. Suggestions were made and discussed regarding a more stable and enduring repair for the subject water main. No motion was made at this time.
Discussion followed related to the problematic water line located on the hill behind the Makanda Post Office. Previous bids for reconstruction of the line were discussed as well as alternate methods with consideration given to quality and durability of the replacement water line. No action was taken at this time.
Mr. Mike Twomey opened conversation related to District legalities by reporting the completion of the contract with Protek and commenting on receipt of review related to the lease. Mr. Twomey also noted that the terms of settlement stated in the recent letter from the BuncombePWD, related to water main repairs at the Pavilion, were accepted by the Village of Makanda.
It was next announced by the District Secretary that design and construction of the new District website, BuncombePWD.com, had been completed. A brief demonstration was presented to the Board; and it was indicated that customers would be notified by an insert with the annual Water Quality Report to be mailed prior to July 1st.
Further conversation turned to recently available EPA funds including loans which may include debt forgiveness. District infrastructure and improvements, including but not limited to water main repairs and painting the water tower, were discussed as possibilities for submission. A motion was made by Ms. Brierton to submit an Application to the EPA for BuncombePWD infrastructure improvements. The motion was seconded by Mr. Burrow and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the motion carried. Mr. Williamsen was directed to contact Mr. Boyke with the Board’s instructions.
- No new information was available regarding the Carbondale Water District.
- Financials for April 2019 were presented and reviewed with brief discussion.
- The District Secretary and Treasurer’s Report and the Accounts Payable Report for June 2019 were presented and discussed. A motion was made by Mr. Burrow to transfer funds in the amount of $4,485.82 from the Repairs/Improvements account to the Operations/Maintenance account as indicated and to pay the bills. The motion was seconded by Mr. Brierton and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the motion carried.
- The Water Supply Operator’s Report was reviewed with no discrepancies. Discussion followed related to recent was loss and locking hydrants.
- No additional public comments or questions were presented at this time.
- There was no move for an executive session.
- There being no further business, a motion was made by Mr. Burrow to adjourn, seconded by Ms. Anderson and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the meeting closed.