BUNCOMBE PUBLIC WATER DISTRICT BOARD OF TRUSTEES REGULAR MEETING
JUNE 11, 2019
MINUTES OF MAY 14, 2019
1. Chairman Hughey called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. A roll call was taken and present were: Chairman Robert Hughey; Vice Chairman Robert Jacobini; Water Supply Operator Ron Lada; District Secretary Karen Dunn; and Trustees Jenny Anderson, Grace Brewer, Pat Brierton, and Joseph Burrow. Absent was Treasurer Mike Williamsen.
2. The professionals in attendance were Mr. Mike Twomey and Mr. Joe Boyke; and the visitors in attendance were District customers Mrs. Lucille Burrow and Mr. Greg Dunn.
3. The Board reviewed the minutes of the April 9, 2019, regular meeting. A motion was made by Ms. Brierton to accept the minutes; seconded by Ms. Brewer and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the minutes were approved.
4. No visitor or customer issues were presented or addressed at this time.
5. No communications were available for presentation at this time.
6. Under the order of new business, Mr. Joe Boyke opened discussion of his plan to address leak detection. First reviewed was water loss during 2018 and 2019. Mr. Boyke continued with his suggestion to install water meters on service lines to monitor water volume in specific sections of the District. Valve locations and meter/labor costs estimates were also reviewed. Further research was suggested, and no motion or action was taken at this time.
Pursuant to Ordinances pertaining to the District Annual Meeting, Mr. Burrow made a motion to retain Robert Hughey in the position of Chairman, Robert Jacobini in the position of Vice Chairman, and Mike Williamsen as Treasurer. Mr. Hughey and Mr. Jacobini accepted their reappointment. The motion was seconded by Ms. Brierton and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the motion carried.
Next, Mr. Burrow made a motion to retain Mr. Mike Twomey as Legal Counsel and Clarida Ziegler the District’s Engineers. Both professionals accepted the reappointment. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Jacobini and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the motion was approved.
Next addressed was the annual review of employee contracts. Discussion followed after employees were excused from the room at which time a motion was made by Mr. Burrow to provide a $250.00 monthly insurance stipend to fulltime employees ($200.00 per month if a cafeteria plan could be arranged.) The motion was seconded by Ms. Brierton and with (5) yes and (0) no votes the motion was approved. No contracts were signed at this time.
7. On the order of old business, Mr. Twomey opened with discussion related to the proposed agreement with Protek Communications for antenna lease. Terms were discussed as well as monthly compensation. A motion was made by Ms. Brewer to enter into the Contract with Protek as presented and discussed. Seconded by Vice Chairman Jacobini and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the Contract was approved.
Mr. Twomey next proposed a follow-up letter to Atty. Web Smith concerning the Village of Makanda repairs at the pavilion; this being the last attempt to settle the dispute without litigation. Ms. Brierton made a motion to approve Mr. Twomey’s recommendation and letter as presented. Seconded by Vice Chairman Jacobini and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the letter was approved.
Related to preparation of the new District Website, the District Secretary explained the accomplishments to date. Brief discussion followed with confirmation of a completion goal of mid-June.
8. No new information was available regarding the Carbondale Water District.
9. Financials for March 2019 were presented and reviewed with brief discussion.
10. The District Secretary and Treasurer’s Report and the Accounts Payable Report for May 2019 were presented and discussed. A motion was made by Vice Chairman Jacobini to accept the reports as presented and to pay the bills. The motion was seconded by Mr. Brierton and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the motion carried.
11. The Water Supply Operator’s Report was reviewed with no discrepancies. Discussion followed related to low water pressure on Baggett Lane and attempts by the WSO to locate a leak.
12. No additional public comments or questions were presented at this time.
13. There was no move for an executive session.
14. There being no further business, a motion was made by Vice Chairman Jacobini to adjourn, seconded by Ms. Brierton and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the meeting closed.