BUNCOMBE PUBLIC WATER DISTRICT BOARD OF TRUSTEES REGULAR MEETING
JANUARY 8, 2019
MINUTES OF DECEMBER 11, 2018
1. In the temporary absence of the Chairman, Vice Chairman Robert Jacobini called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. A roll call was taken and present were: Vice Chairman Robert Jacobini; Treasurer Mike Williamsen; District Secretary Karen Dunn; and Trustees Jenny Anderson, Grace Brewer, Pat Brierton, and Joseph Burrow. Absent was Water Supply Operator Ron Lada, and Chairman Robert Hughey arrived later in the meeting.
2. The professional in attendance was Mr. Mike Twomey, District Legal Counsel. Visitors in attendance were Mr. Cameron McCurdy, Owner of ProTek Communications, and District customers Mrs. Lucille Burrow and Mr. Greg Dunn.
3. The Board reviewed the minutes of the November 13, 2018, regular meeting. A motion was made by Mr. Burrow to accept the minutes; seconded by Ms. Brierton and with (4) yes and (0) no votes, the minutes were approved.
4. No customer requests were presented or discussed at this time.
5. Communications from Hendrix Accounting was presented indicating a rate increase beginning January 2019 for bookkeeping services. Also, reviewed was the District’s Certificate of Liability coverage for 2019 of which no action was required.
6. Upon Chairman Hughey’s arrival, Mr. Cameron McCurdy addressed the Board related to the purchase of Cardinal Internet by his company, ProTek Communications. Discussion followed related to proposed contract details and access to the site as well as available Website services with ProTek. No action was taken at this time.
Next presented by the District Secretary was the revised District Budget and rate increase information for the upcoming calendar year. Discussion followed related to the rate increase. Alternative rates were suggested and further discussion of the Budget was tabled until the February meeting when those adjustments would be presented.
At this time the District Secretary was excused from the meeting as the Board opened discussion related to Employee Christmas Bonuses. A motion was made by Vice Chairman Jacobini to extend a $350.00 Christmas Bonus to each employee; seconded by Mr. Burrow and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the motion was approved, at which time the District Secretary rejoined the meeting.
7. Related to the responsibility of repair costs at the Pavilion, Mr. Mike Twomey presented the Board with a written response from the Attorney representing the Village of Makanda related to the Water District’s initial claim. Also included with the letter was a revised drawing of the water line modifications, which were prepared by Asaturian & Eaton engineers based on measurements acquired by Mr. Brian Bush during the repairs. After careful deliberation, a motion was made by Ms. Brierton to reject the offer presented by the Village of Makanda; seconded by Ms. Brewer and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the motion carried unanimously, and Mr. Twomey was instructed to take further action.
Next addressed was the status of the Water District’s website design specifically related to those services currently being provided by Tech Guy Consulting, Inc. After lengthy discussion, Mr. Mike Twomey was instructed by the Board to address concerns related to contractual obligations with this service provider. Per Chairman Hughey, continuation of further efforts related to website design will be on hold pending further discussion by the Board.
Information related to cloud back-up services provided by Mr. Steve Shafer, Double Eagle Software, was presented and reviewed. After related discussion and general interest expressed about the service, the District Secretary was instructed to obtain further information for presentation at the January 2019 meeting of the Board.
8. No new information was available regarding the Carbondale Water District.
9. Financials for October 2018 were presented and reviewed with brief discussion.
10. The Secretary/Treasurer’s Report and the Accounts Payable Report for December 2018 were presented and discussed. Also presented was an unpaid invoice related to the water main repair at the Village Pavilion in July of this year. A motion was made by Mr. Burrow to accept the Secretary and Treasurer’s Report as presented, and to pay the bills. The motion was seconded by Ms. Brierton and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the motion carried. An additional motion was made by Vice Chairman Jacobini to pay the outstanding Invoice #2239 to Dean Bush Construction in the amount of $3,154.26. Seconded by Ms. Anderson and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the payment was approved.
11. The Water Supply Operator’s Report was reviewed with no discrepancies.
12. No additional public comments or questions were presented at this time.
13. There was no move for an executive session.
14. There being no further business, a motion was made by Ms. Brierton to adjourn, seconded by Mr. Burrow, and with (5) yes and (0) no votes, the meeting closed.